- Council MeetingDate: Monday, May 8, 2017Time: 4:00PMLocation: Law Society Board Room
- Title Insurance 101Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2017Time: 11:30 AM - 1:30 PMLocation: The Holman Grand Hotel, 123 Grafton St., CharlottetownJohn Tracy & William McCarthy of First Canadian Title will present “Title Insurance 101” which will cover amongst other things: what is title insurance, what is covered, exclusions and exceptions to coverage, how to submit a claim.
John Tracy, BA, LLB, Legal Counsel has worked in the private practice of law for 11 years, where he focused on real estate prior to joining FCT as Legal Counsel. In this role, John is responsible for handling title insurance claims, with a keen focus on fraud. John serves on a team mandated to analyze fraud with the goal of developing underwriting tools and procedures to prevent fraud altogether. Because of his easy-going nature and strong public speaking skills, John is a sought-after speaker for FCT-hosted seminars. He is a member of the Canadian Association of Accredited Mortgage Professionals (CAAMP) Mortgage Fraud Prevention Subcommittee. John was called to the Ontario Bar in 1993 after attending McGill and Queen’s Universities.
William McCarthy, Senior Legal Counsel, Risk Officer and Chief Underwriter joined FCT in 2001. He has an extensive background in underwriting and claims and until recently, spent over six years with FCT’s parent company, First American, where he was the lead underwriter for their operations in both Chile and Mexico. He is currently FCT’s chief underwriter and risk officer — services he can provide in both English and French. Prior to joining the FCT team, Will worked in a private law practice. He holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto, and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Manitoba. Will was called to the Ontario bar in 1995.
11:30 AM Registration & Bufffet Lunch (Soup, Salad & Sandwich)
12:00 Noon - 1:30 PM Title Insurance CLE
$75 plus HST - CBA Members
$100 plus HST - Non CBA Members
Payment is due at time of registration and is to be submitted to the Law Society of PEI
Can be completed on line or by completing the attached form and submitting it to the Law Society of PEI.
This CLE provides 1.5 hours of mandatory CPD credits.
Registration Form PDF Details
- Council MeetingDate: Monday, June 12, 2017Time: 4:00PMLocation: Law Society Board Room
- Law Society of PEI/CBA PEI Branch Professional Development Day & Annual MeetingsDate: Friday, June 23, 2017 - Saturday, June 24, 2017Time: TBALocation: Stanley Bridge Country Resort, Stanley Bridge, PEIAGMs & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY
2017’s Professional Development Day will focus on Estates with guest speaker Kimberly A. Whaley. Kimberly is the founder and principal of the Toronto Boutique Trusts and Estates Litigation Firm, WEL Partners. Kimberly is also a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales. Kimberly’s complete bio can be found here.
Professional Development sessions will include Capacity and Undue Influence, Attacking and Defending Gifts and a Panel on Estates Practice Do’s and Don’ts, Solicitor Negligence and a view from the bench with Chief Justice Matheson.
Friday June 23rd, 2017
Saturday June 24th, 2017
- Morning Professional Development Sessions
- Noon Canadian Bar Association, PEI Branch Annual General Meeting & Luncheon
- Evening Presidents’ Reception & Dinner & Late Night Party
- Morning Law Society of PEI Annual General Meeting
Where: Stanley Bridge Country Resort
Accommodations reserved under our group must be booked by MAY 20, 2017
Reservations can be booked by calling 1-800-361-2882.
Group booking rates are confirmed starting at $98.10 per night plus tax.
Accommodation types include: Double Room, 3 Bedroom Cottages, 1 Bedroom Cottages, Efficiency Cottages, King Suites, Family Suites, Single Room, Lodge Bachelor Unit, One Bedroom Lodge and Two Bedroom Lodge.
Inn & Lodge Cancellation: 72 Hours’ notice.
Cottage Cancellation: 30 days prior to arrival.
Registration: A complete registration package will be circulated to the membership in the spring 2017.