- 2018 Professional Development Day & Annual MeetingDate: Friday, June 22, 2018 - Saturday, June 23, 2018Location: Rodd Crowbush Resort, Lakeside PEIFriday, June 22nd
8:30AM Registration for Professional Development Day, A light breakfast will be served.
09:00AM - 12:30PM WEEDING OUT THE MYTHS, CLE
Programing presented by the CBA PEI / Law Society Joint Continuing Education Committee seeks to answer some of the many legal questions and curiosities surrounding the legalization of recreational cannabis. Members will find the session both timely and informative as it will address the federal and provincial legislative framework, potential workplace issues, and the proposed impaired driving amendments to the Criminal Code.
- Cannabis Legislation Presented by Gary Demeulenaere, Director of Legal and Policy Services, Province of PEI and Bobbi-Jo Flynn, Justice Policy Analyst, Province of PEI. This presentation will provide an overview of the federal and provincial legislative regime.
This Continuing Legal Education session provides 3.0 CPD hours.
- Cannabis and the Workplace Presented by Kiersten Amos, McInnes Cooper. With the legalization of recreational cannabis looming and social attitudes changing there comes increasing questions about the potential impact cannabis may have on the workplace. This session will cover the potential impact of medical versus recreational cannabis use on the workplace, and practical tips for managing the workplace in this new reality. It will also take a critical look at workplace policies and testing.
- Cannabis and the Criminal Law Presented by Greg Yost, Counsel, Criminal Law Policy Section, Department of Justice, Government of Canada. With the legalization of recreational cannabis, many questions exist surrounding the proposed reform of the impaired driving provisions in the Criminal Code to effectively deter and enforce drug-impaired driving, while withstanding Charter scrutiny. This session, which will be conducted by video link, will provide an overview of the drugs and driving provisions of Bill C-46, An Act to amend the Criminal Code (offences relating to conveyances) and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, the proposed legislation that would create new offences and authorize roadside drug screening.
12:30PM CBA PEI Branch Annual General Meeting & Luncheon
Everyone is welcome to a complimentary buffet luncheon hosted by the Canadian Bar Association, PEI Branch.
6:30PM Presidents’ Reception & Dinner
Join hosts Law Society President Jennifer MacPherson and CBA Branch President Krista MacKay, Q.C. for the Presidents’ Reception followed by dinner, featuring the presentation of the Law Society of PEI Distinguished Community Service Award and guest speaker Bruce Rainnie.
9:30PM Late Night Party - Don’t want the night to end? Visit the Hospitality Suite for more socializing and snacks.
- 2019 Mid-Winter Meetings and CLEDate: Friday, February 1, 2019Location: Rodd Charlottetown HotelMore information on the event will be circulated late in 2018.